Who is Eligible to Vote?

All USGenWeb Members as defined in the USGenWeb Bylaws are eligible to vote. Only those members eligible to vote in a given region/area/position may vote for a candidate in the respective region/area/position.

The By-Laws of the USGenWeb Project state in Article VII. F. Election Procedures:

"All members of The USGenWeb Project, excluding Look-Up Volunteers and Transcribers, shall be eligible to vote".

Remember, in addition to being a registered member of The USGenWeb Project, you must also have registered yourself to vote in order to receive a voting password. You must be registered in all areas of active project participation in order to vote in those areas.

The following information will help you understand in what areas you, as an individual member, are eligible to vote.

Areas Within the USGenWeb Project

The USGenWeb Project is comprised of two divisions:  States, and National Special Projects.

The States are divided into four regions.

NENC - Northeast North Central Region: Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Wisconsin

NWPL - Northwest Plains Region: Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Iowa, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Washington, Wyoming

SEMA - Southeast Mid-Atlantic Region: Alabama, Delaware, D.C., Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, New Jersey, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia

SWSC - Southwest South Central Region: Arizona, Arkansas, California, Hawaii, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah

Volunteers within the States may hold such positions as State Coordinator (SC), Assistant State Coordinator (ASC), Co-State Coordinator (Co-SC), County Coordinator (CC), Assistant County Coordinator (ACC), Co-County Coordinator (Co-CC), Town Coordinator (TC), and Local Coordinator (LC) for a State Special Project.

National Special Projects:
The National Special Project side is comprised of The Archives Project (SPAR SA), Tombstone Project (SPIP TP), Kidz Project (SPIP KZ), African American Griots Project (SPIP AA), Genealogical Events Project (SPIP GE), and the Lineage Project (SPIP LN).

In addition to the State Archives, the Archives Project includes several sub-projects:  Digital Map Library (SPAR MP), Pension Project (SPAR PP), Census Images (SPAR CI), Marriage Records (SPAR WD), Obituary Project (SPAR OB), and the Special Collections Project (SPAR SC) which is comprised of Family Publications, History Publications, Journals and Letters, Military, and Photo Collections.

Volunteers with the State Archives are termed File Managers, state (SFM) and county (FM). Volunteers with the other Special Projects are termed Local Project Coordinators (LPC).

So Where Do You Fit In?

If your volunteer job is tied to a state then you belong to a Region. Look at the list of regions (above) and find the state(s) where you volunteer. Those will be the region(s) you belong in. All members of a State Project are eligible to vote for the County Coordinator Representative(s) for their region; and on any regional issues affecting that region. State Coordinators and Assistant or Co-State Coordinators are eligible to vote for the State Coordinator Representative for their region.

If you are a volunteer in one of the Special Projects you are eligible to vote for the Special Projects Representative.

And of course you are eligible to vote for any position that is open for vote by the membership at large.

More Information


Quick Links
Contact Us

The USGenWeb Project, Free Genealogy Online The Election Committee of the USGenWeb Project is a non-partisan standing committee charged with managing national polls and elections for the Project; providing a secure voting system; maintaining an up-to-date and accurate list of all members; and providing Volunteers with information about elections and candidates. It is not affiliated with any other election, voting, or campaign project or committee. Contact , EC Chair, or your regional EC Representative with questions and concerns.